Friday, July 30, 2010

From Grace: Solo show at Clay Scot Artworks

From Grace

I’ve been busy this summer preparing for my September show in Birmingham, Al. Clay Scot Artworks will feature my work in a solo show: FROM GRACE. The show opens on Sept 3, 2010 and I will be there to share the work with you. I’m pretty excited to have the chance to catch up with my Birmingham friends and family.

Sprigs and Blossoms, Encaustic on 3 panels, 2010 ©Mary Farmer

This show at Clay Scot Artworks has very special meaning to me. I spent my early adulthood in Birmingham, my family lives in a small town 30 miles to the east and I went to the Magic City to attend Samford University and The Ida V. Moffett School of Nursing. This will be a happy homecoming for me.

Also, the work sold at this show will benefit a very worthwhile organization, Triumph Services whose mission is to serve the historically under-served group of adults with mild developmental disabilities. Just to give you an idea of the magnitude of funding short falls, of the 30,000 individuals who are struggling with Autism in the state of Alabama, 40 percent of them do not qualify for government run services. Brooke Stephens, founder and director of Triumph Services will also be on hand to answer your questions and share information about this valuable organization.

I ask that you come out purchase art and help me support the amazing work done by Triumph Services. I am donating 10% of my sales to Triumph Services.

Clay Scot Artworks
‪2915 Highland Ave S‬
‪Birmingham, AL 35205‬


Videos: I’m a You Tube Inductee

I have produced a series of short videos about various aspect of art making. It was a very fun project, my producer, Marty Gillen, did a fantastic job and I invite you to view one here:



Hey, let me know what you think.

You may view all 9 videos on You Tube. Don't worry, they are all short pieces.

Encaustic Classes

The summer has been a busy teaching time. Due to high demand, I have added a class in Asheville. The dates are Aug 28, 29, 30, if you have any interest in learning encaustic techniques, I’d love to have you in the class. This three-day intensive workshop combines beginning and intermediate techniques for a complete and balanced introduction to encaustic painting. Students will learn about the history of encaustic painting, supports, grounds and panel preparation, how to layer and collage with wax to create your very own encaustic paintings. Each student will have the opportunity to experiment and create 5 – 10 finished paintings. I will happy to send you information on the three day class just give me a call 828. 712. 3786 or email me: mary411@maryfarmer.com

In October, I will present an advanced demonstration of the new and cool techniques I picked up at the Encaustic Conference I attended this June. The Conference was the most fun ever! Same thing, if you’d like information about this demo, let me know.

Atlanta Art Findings

I made a quick trip to Atlanta in late July and stopped into a few galleries.

Raiford Gallery in Roswell is a treasure trove. They feature wonderful fiber, pottery, glass, jewelry and some contemporary art. They best highlight the craft and jewelry areas.






Left: Delias Thompson - Ring and Right: Peter Senesac

Huff Harrington in Buckhead, this charming gallery may be one of the most welcoming venues for viewing contemporary art; no attitude; no pretentious unapproachable work. Huff Harrington features solid artists such as: Angie Renfro , Allison Shockley , Liz Barber and others.

Ann Huff and Meg Harrington are providing Atlanta with a very comfortable, familial setting for viewing and selecting artwork. Stop by, you will be nicely surprised.

Emily Amy Gallery on Marietta Street and part of the Westside Arts District is beautifully open space featuring highly refined emerging, mid-career, and established artists from across the country.

I was pleased to see the spiritually infused work of Clayton Santiago, his pieces are organic and deeply layered—you already know of my affinity for layering.

The Art Beltline is becoming a reality. The Atlanta Beltline corridor encompasses nearly eight miles of old rail bed. Atlanta BeltLine, Inc. is featuring the work of almost 50 artists along its route. Hey, get out there take a nice Sunday stroll and see what’s up on the Beltline.

MOCA ga housed in a serene TULA space is still going strong. I was moved to see several pieces from my beloved teacher, Thomasine Bradford; you are missed, dear Thomasine.

MOCA ga features 600 works of contemporary art by more than 200 Georgia artists, the collection rotates and it’s a great way to celebrate Georgia artists.

Pryor Fine Art-has added the work of three fine artists, John Folsom, Kim Froshin and Felice Sharp.


Left: John Folsom Right: Kim Froshin

Please keep up with me on Facebook I'm posting updates, etc.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mary, this looks like it will be a terrific show! I love your little video clip and applaud all your energy. Best to you!